I have a hypothesis. And it goes -
"While trying to accomplish something, learning how to do things step by step kills creativity and innovation. On the other hand, learning what not to do, helps accomplishing while fostering new methods."
And hence I pledge - if you seek innovation, do not follow step by step. Rather simply focus on specific outcomes and common mistakes to avoid.
Now that I have put out main thing I wanted to say, lets dive in to why I feel so.
Learning to cook
I initially tried cooking - exactly the way it was supposed to be, step by step. But it didn't feel like cooking. It felt like I was just a kitchenhand doing what I was told. I wanted to get creative. But I failed miserably. The cooking is a creative art and I had done that with zero creativity. Hence, I learned the science of it.
I learned about the flavors and spices properties and behaviour, how temperature and pressure applied in cooking, and learned the basics of baking, mixing, pan frying, stir frying and deep frying. I also learned about how the cooking pot makes a difference; and how not to overcook.
With these information, I have now been able to get a twist here and there while cooking, without making the food taste miserable.
Disclaimer: I still fail cooking at times, and I am not a great cook either. But I am more satisfied with the foods I cook now.
Exploring new venture
Recenctly, as a side hustle, I wanted to try out as a ridesharing driver, Uber and more. I did not have contacts who had done this before, hence I proceeded on my own, to this unfamiliar territory.
Had I known someone to follow, I would had followed the footsteps. But since I ventured on my own, I am exploring and finding new things now. I have discovered secret areas and times where I find more riders and have less competition; rather than going where the app wants me to go.
And having to explore the venture rather than following the footsteps has allowed me to feel more like an enthusiastic adventurer rather than an overmanaged apprentice.
I have come to believe that, having that freedom of getting creative, makes the learning journey more fun, worthwhile and one can accomplish more on the long run over someone who just followed steps by steps, never looked out of the box and never risked getting wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment